Monday, June 9, 2014

Thoughts While We Wait


Thoughts While We Wait

It's been a month since they have applied for M's passport. We think. You never know for sure. They told us it would take about a month to get it. It's been a month. Now our experience with international adoption has been that it almost always takes longer than they say it will. And yet for the past week or 2 I have been checking my email. Often. Many, many times daily. Probably we will get a phone call instead, but I keep checking. Just in case. No news yet.

We have seen God work many times throughout this adoption. He loves M so much and He is working to bring him home. Please keep praying for M, for us, and for God to be glorified. So, so much is on my heart and mind. M's passport, wrapping things up here at home, prepping for travel, wondering when we will travel, leaving our girls in the loving hands of their grandparents and uncles and aunts, trying to remember and review all of the valuable training we have received.

Greg has been busy prepping M's locker and the boys' room. We still need to go buy M's mattress, but it is almost all ready. Whew! M will start out in our room for a little while for a time of adjusting and connecting. And our room had been full of stuff from the boys' room as it was gutted and redone by my very capable husband. Feels good to see our floor again.

I am cooking double and triple recipes this week to have some things in the freezer for later. That's the plan anyway. I have been eating whole 30 sans fruit trying to get this candida back under control. It flares up every spring and feasts on sugar, yeast, and many things quick and easy to grab. So the more I can have ready before we go, the better.

One big question we've been asking ourselves (okay, I've been asking) is what will life look like when we return in terms of cocooning or whatever you want to call it. Cocooning is when you slow down and stay home a lot and focus on building attachment and bonding with your adopted child, and help him learn what family is and who his parents are. These are things that come naturally to those who have grown up in family or at least have spent time in a family, but foreign to those who have grown up in institutions. Cocooning is also a time when you learn to read your child and he learns to read you. We don't know exactly what this will look like for us, just giving you a heads up if you don't see much out of us for a while. Dr. Karyn Purvis refers to this as "simplifying your life". I think I like that phrase better. Greg likes to think of it as a purposeful time. It's not just a time where you cut back and don't do things. It's a time where you build trust and relationships and family.

I will return when we get that phone call or email!


No comments:

Post a Comment